Wednesday, September 21, 2011

That kind of Wednesday...

One week out from Vegas..

Workouts and work and family and... it's always a fight for balance.  I believe I've done a good job, maybe not an excellent job.  Challenging workouts leave me toast for most of the following morning.  Missing a workout leaves me mentally discouraged.

The past few days have been great with both pace and pretty good distance.  I would like to be nearer 8 to 10 km per practice.  Mentally, I guess I feel like I'm cheating if I divide this into 2 practices per day, but that's going to have to be the next step.  My body is craving more recovery than this allows now.

Saturday:  6KM swim+  Nice pace and then some sprints to open up my stroke count.

Sunday:  4KM swim (1:14) or 1:51 / 100m  This was prepped as a 10 km swim with a 4k, 3k, 2k, 1k swim.  After completion of the 4km in a pretty decent pace, I was just tingly and numb - did not fuel well that morning.  Lesson learned.  Saturday, Taressa had class and this was the first day we have had together for some time.  It was easy to make the trade off to be back with her for a great breakfast.

Monday:  Off

Tuesday:  4 x 1km (descend)  (18:10)  (17:00)  (17:15)  (17:30)  Didn't quite hit the descend targets, but felt very strong.  The splits were ranging between 1:42 and 1:48 / 100m.  The first km felt quite sloppy - no warm up and there were several pretty decent swimmers creating more disturbance in the water than my normal crystal clear laps of early morning swims alone.  That was a good reminder that the lake will not be much different.  I was glad that the subsequent 1000's were so strong - time wise relative to effort.  I believe I can hold a sub 1:45 / 100km pace for the entire race.  That would put me in the 2:20 to 2:30 range for the 8KM (factoring no walls and probably not swimming exactly straight).  This would represent a 50 to 40 minute redux from last year's first attempt.  Needless to say, I'd be very happy with this progress.

Focus will be on flawless nutrition from here on - that last donut did taste extra good knowing that this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment