Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Discovering Total Immersion

Discovering Total Immersion

I learned more about the sport of swimming in one afternoon than I had in 30+ years.  The Terry Laughlin lecture series on youtube and his Total Immersion method of swimming is incredible.

The first one is here (you can follow others as each one finishes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6XIntfcc

In some form, I was seeking this style of swim and had an epiphany early in this season's practice.  I just started to dramatically emphasize the roll and pull/kick combo to propel and remain streamlined.  It felt great.  Wasn't sure of the speed (time), but after last night's 4k easily done in just over 1 hour, I'm sure that it is the method I will seek to master.

There is a real elegance and power to the swim - very little churning and 'effort'.  The stroke is exactly what I want to look like doing long distance swims.  Of course I'll always love that out-of-the-water feel of fast free or fly - save that for the last 50 meters.

Last night was tough because I wanted to finish 8k, but I know Taressa is stressing out over the completion of her business plan for school and I wanted to at least try to help out with the kiddos.

Nathaniel was having a blast leaping from the chair to couch and was planning on going with me (sometimes he is Daddy's boy - it's not often so it's even more special).  But sure enough, he hit his shin right before I left and he needed ice and a Mommy's hug.

Night Off! - Recovery and eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment