Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yeesh - We'll call that a recovery day

Simply discouraged with yesterday's swim.  Was set to do 3 timed 1 mile (metric) - descending -  swims inside.  I set out the first as a bit of warm up and swam next to a guy who had a pretty decent pace.  I was challenging myself just a bit, but really wanted to compare my own swim technique (smooth and easy-fast) vs a more aggressive pull and arm focus.  Sure enough, a stronger kick component easily powered through my side turn and I could maintain a pace.  Probably the fact that I just kind of hit this acceleration without a mental preparation left me just mentally exhausted.  I completed a 1km swim in 16:40 and was happy with this time (considering it was really only half at an increased pace).  Then did a 400.  Then did a 100 off the wall in 1:18.

I know I'm just getting mentally stale with the pool and the length of time it takes to increase my distance.  Made the decision to wake up early, start putting in AM distance and splitting up my days.  Also need to get that kayak asap (can someone say birthday present?) so Taressa and I can hit the lake for a change of scenery.

We'll call yesterday a recovery day - then what was a weak workout can be seen as bonus?  maybe?  I've toyed with Monday's being an official 'Off' day and concentrate on a muscle group workout or abs.  Must strengthen the core asap.

Feeling in a funk the past few days and need to get beyond it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment