Monday, August 15, 2011

The Chris Powell Weekend

My super sexy wife has been a huge Chris Powell fan since we've watched his weight loss series.  I have to admit the stories are very touching.  Happy to see people turn their lives around especially when they've gone so far.

So Chris puts a notice on his Facebook that all are invited to a hike up 'A Mountain' in Tempe (it's the one you see overlooking the football stadium for the Sundevils).  I still remember watching football games and seeing students watching the game from the mountain and thinking I would love to live there (here).

Taressa is nervous before that morning and gets up at like 4:30am to be there on time. 

She meets a girl who trained with Chris, gets to know her and she ultimately becomes the 'in' for Taressa to get an introduction.  I could tell she was so happy to not only conquer her fears, but to be rewarded with he and his wife's kindness on that morning. 

Then, on Sunday - while grabbing the most awesome BBQ Pork Salad the world will ever know - who would walk right by, but Heidi and Chris and Cash (their 2 month old baby boy).  I quickly introduced myself and thanked them, especially Heidi, for their kindness and appreciation that Taressa had.

UPDATING SWIM

Well, it's been a long time to update and I've generally battled a bit of a plateau mixed with a frustration with my stroke.  My left arm has been weak since even high school.  Though it has improved, I still have to think about each stroke or miss my catch and end up pulling too wide.  I've realized that my right side is much more flat than the left.  This is caused and results in a weak pull.  Sooooo... when I fix the rotation, I get better - a win/win.

Breaking through the mental side with some decent swims - focus on technique.  I struggle to get past the idea that I need to be swimming more yards/meters rather than 'waste time on technique'.  But I know it will all pay off.  My distance has decreased from a consistent 6k/practice to about 4k.  But I have worked in some pace work.

It was nice to be able to swim on my last trip.  There was a Lifetime gym right next to my hotel.  It felt eerily similar to our Gilbert, AZ gym.  I even used the same locker I always use.  Habits and routine define me in regards to my swim workouts.  The Houston air was thick and hot and the pool there only had 3 lanes compared to 8 at our gym - much less respect for swimmers.

Last Few Swims:

8/13 Saturday - 2000 swim (32:00) + 5 x 400 descend
8/14 Sunday   - 2000 swim (with current) 3 x 50 breast/free sprints

No comments:

Post a Comment